- Single pie crust
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups (or one 15-ounce can) pumpkin
- 1 1/4 cups evaporated milk
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the sugars, flour, salt, and spices.
- In a large measuring cup, beat together the eggs, pumpkin, and evaporated milk. Whisk into the dry ingredients. For best flavor, cover and refrigerate the filling overnight before baking.
- Lightly grease a 9" pie pan that's at least 1 1/2" deep. Roll the pie dough out to a 13" circle, and transfer to the pan. Crimp the edges above the rim; this will give you a little extra headroom to hold the filling when it expands in the oven. Refrigerate the crust while the oven preheats to 400°F.
- When the oven is hot, place the pie pan on a baking sheet to catch any drips. Pour the filling into the unbaked pie shell. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until the filling is set 2" in from the edge. The center should still be wobbly. Remove the pie from the oven and cool on a rack; the center will finish cooking through as the pie sits.