Southwestern Stuffed Peppers
- 2 bell peppers (any color)
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 scallions
- 1 lime
- 8 oz. ground beef
- ½ cup quinoa
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 tsp Southwest spice blend
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Bring the chicken stock to a boil in a small pot. Add quinoa. Cover and reduce to a low simmer until tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Halve, peel, and dice onion. Thinly slice scallions. Cut lime into wedges.
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and scallions, and toss until softened, 4-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add ground beef and break up into pieces until browned, 3-4 minutes. Stir in Southwest spice blend and cookie another 30 seconds. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Halve bell peppers lengthwise without removing the stem, and then remove the veins and seeds. Place on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Bake until softened, 5-7 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes to beef, and simmer 5 minutes to meld flavors. Stir in cooked quinoa and season with salt and pepper.
- Fill the peppers with as much filling as possible and sprinkle monterey Jack cheese on top. Bake until the peppers and very soft, about 10 minutes.
- Serve with a wedge of lime for squeezing over. Leftover filling can be on the side.